Gail Hurst, a member of Central, founded this ministry in 1996. The principal purpose of HUGS is to fill the needs of members who are not being cared for by a Sunday School class or United Methodist Women.
HUGS has volunteers who will help with assorted needs:
- helps with household repairs for those who do not have other resources
- provides the funeral meal if a member of the church dies and does not belong to a small group or Sunday school
- takes communion to shut-ins and send get well and sympathy cards
- finds someone to transport a member to a doctor’s appointment
- (during the school year) provides take-out meals from the Wednesday church dinners with help from Loaves and Fishes and (in the summer), provide meals each Wednesday night to our shut-ins.
- assembles “care packages” including water, snacks, and activity books for members and their family in the hospital
- delivers the “care packages” twice a week
- assembles emergency lunches that are given to people who drop by our church in need of food
- contacts those members who have missed church three consecutive Sundays to check on them and see if they are in need of help or prayer.
HUGS is here to help anyone who has a need not met by another group. Please call the church office or Becky Rieniets (256-351-7202) if you or someone you know of needs our help.
HUGS would like to honor…
*Elizabeth English and her team providing care & hospitality for funerals & other special events
*Ray Crump for silencing squeaky chairs & repairing the table in the library
*All those who teach and lead Sunday School
*Jerry Thrasher, Mike Garrett and others who take Glen Paul to dialysis
During this time of isolation, please send recognition’s to our HUGS chair, Beth Adams, at email@example.com.